Thursday, March 14, 2013

Resource Review: Parental Book Reviews




I thought this week I'd do something a bit different, and as I was pinning (I'll admit it, I'm a Pin-a-holic--addicted to Pinterest) I stumbled on a link of a link to this website--Parental Book Reviews. It takes books for children, teens, and young adults and reviews them in regards to intended audience, sexual content, language, and other "notables"--circumstances or situations in the books that should be noted.

Now, I'm only twenty, so teen and young adult books still really appeal to me, but I wish I'd known about this site even when I was in middle school. A lot of times I've stumbled onto books that I should not have read even as an adult, because I didn't know what was in the book. For example, Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr was a book strong in sexual content, language, drugs and alcohol, and general violence and cruelty. Knowing about this site could have saved me the temptation and trouble of reading this. For a review from the site, see https://sites.google.com/site/parentalbookreviews/shadow/wicked-lovely.

It is to be noted, of course, that this is not a distinctly Christian site, and it is reviewed by volunteers. Some reviews acknowledge a problem with witchcraft, magic, etc. within the books, while others presume that readers of the review naturally do not have a problem with it.

The book list contained many of the most popular books currently in the youth culture--everything from Harry Potter to Twilight to Percy Jackson--and while the list is still relatively short, I'm confident that it will continue to grow and be a great source for children, teens, and adults to hold themselves and one another accountable in their reading material. I highly recommend that everyone explore this source and use it in their personal and professional lives and ministries.

God's blessings,
Dakotah Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment